Internships(Unpaid, Academic Work Placements)
EPA is proud to be among the first providers of internships with Members of the Scottish Parliament.
But don't worry if politics is not your subject. We also offer programs in the cultural and theatrical, and corporate and banking communities. Students of sports studies find excellent sports-related placements in Edinburgh. We are always keen to expand our offerings and we pride ourselves on our personalized approach, so if the internship you want is not listed below, please let us know, and we will try to set one up specifically for you.
Many Course Modules are available. Please visit Edinburgh Napier University's website for details. EPA semester students choose two course modules at level SCQF 08 or 09. Please pay attention to the semester that the module is offered and any prerequisites that are required.
Scottish Culture & Society
All EPA summer students participate in weekly lectures to develop their appreciation of Scottish culture and society, using a mixture of internal and external staff. Outside events include visits to places of interest, such as Edinburgh Castle and a distillery, and cultural events, such as a Ceilidh. The assessments consist of an essay on a suitable topic agreed with the module leader, and a group presentation developing one of the topics introduced in class. Groups must consist of students from at least two different countries.
- (Unpaid, Academic Work Placements)
- Charitable Organizations
- A variety of charities accept students for research and administrative placements, such as women's rights, special-needs, the Cancer Research Group, and the Scottish Health Advisory Service. Students of physical and occupational therapy can also work with disabled children or adults.
- Conference and Event Planning
- Edinburgh plays host to many conferences and special events throughout the year.
- Veterinarian and Equestrian Centres
- Previous students have interned at the Royal (Dick) School of Veterinary Studies and also at the Appin Equestrian Centre.
- Banks and Financial Institutions
- Edinburgh is a banking capital and we have links with the Royal Bank and The Bank of Scotland. Students have particularly enjoyed placements in the archives and banking museums.
- Students have worked in advertising in various areas, in particular charities, sports and museums.
- Healthcare and Administration
- Successful internships have taken place within the National Health Service, particularly in the Information Services Division where students have been given various interesting research topics.
- There are some very successful legal firms in Edinburgh. We have established a link with Core Solutions, a commercial mediation and dispute resolution company.
- Previous internships have taken place in various areas of marketing including sports marketing with the Edinburgh Capitals, KD Media, Big Blue and Belinda Robertson (cashmere).
- Psychology and Psychiatric Facilities
- Students are placed within the psychology department at Edinburgh University and also within the Royal Edinburgh Psychiatric Hospital.
- Previous publishing internships have taken place with Media Magazine, the Holyrood Magazine (the official Parliament Publication) and also with charitable organizations.
- Religious Organisations
- EPA has links with various Presbyterian Churches, and student placements range from St Giles Cathedral to small churches involved with outreach in the community.
- Social Services and Social Work
- EPA has been involved with the Royal Edinburgh Hospital and their Social Work Team and also has very strong links with Capability Scotland — Scotland's leading disability organization. Students have also been placed with the Bethany Fellowship, working with the socio-economically disadvantaged.
- Previous internships have been with Edinburgh Leisure, Edinburgh Capitals, the Scottish Rugby Union, David Lloyd Gym and the Hibernian Football Club, and the Edinburgh Capitals ice hockey team.
- Students have been placed in internships with Watson Wyatt, a prominent global consulting firm.
- Medical Research
- Internships have taken place with the NHS.
- Politics and Government
- Politics interns work as research and administrative assistants to Members of the Scottish Parliament or at political party headquarters: Scottish Nationalist, Labour, Conservative, Liberal Democratic or the Green Party.
- Museums & Tourist Attractions
- Edinburgh is world-renowned for the quality and diversity of its museums and visitor attractions, many of which offer administrative, and in some cases research, placements to students. Placements are also available in tourism and hotel management.
- Public Relations
- Public relations placements are available in a variety of organizations and businesses.
- Although Edinburgh is a relatively small city, it is the capital of Scotland and very cosmopolitan. Previous interns have enjoyed placements in various businesses from the Festival Theatre to football clubs and small independant businesses.
- Theater and Dance
- Edinburgh is one of Europe's leading centers of theater and dance. Students can intern in a variety of theaters, large or small, traditional or alternative, and also at contemporary and art film houses. Students of dance can teach in dance workshops and successful internships have taken place in Dance Therapy.
- Education, including Special Needs
- Teaching and administrative placements are available in schools. Most placements are with children aged 5-11 years. Interns can specialize in different areas, such as teaching children with special needs, teaching sports or in equestrian schools.