Internships(Unpaid, Academic Work Placements)
EPA is proud to be among the first providers of internships with Members of the Scottish Parliament.
But don't worry if politics is not your subject. We also offer programs in the cultural and theatrical, and corporate and banking communities. Students of sports studies find excellent sports-related placements in Edinburgh. We are always keen to expand our offerings and we pride ourselves on our personalized approach, so if the internship you want is not listed below, please let us know, and we will try to set one up specifically for you.
Many Course Modules are available. Please visit Edinburgh Napier University's website for details. EPA semester students choose two course modules at level SCQF 08 or 09. Please pay attention to the semester that the module is offered and any prerequisites that are required.
Scottish Culture & Society
All summer students participate in a private weekly seminar, exclusive to EPA students, that covers the History and Culture of Scotland. The class includes lectures, discussions, written essay assignments, and presentations, as well as walking tours of Old Town Edinburgh, Scottish Parliament, and other places of interest as well. It is perfect for the independent learner. An overnight trip to the Highlands is included.
- (Unpaid, Academic Work Placements)
- Charitable Organizations
- A variety of charities have accepted students for research and administrative placements, such as Bethany Christian Trust, Move On, Capability-Scotland, and ASH Scotland. Work will range from helping with conferences, meetings or events, researching topics or projects, shadowing care workers, helping with administration, or creating and updating projects, for example.
- Event Planning
- Edinburgh is the Capital of Scotland and plays host to many conferences, events, and fesitvals. Tourism placements within government or private organisations, hotels or advertising agencies are possible.
- Marketing, Advertising, and Public Relations
- Previous internships have taken place in various areas of marketing or public relations with: local and national charity organisations, sports organisations, and several large and small advertising and marketing firms. Some placements have been with Edinburgh Capitals, City of Edinburgh Museums & Galleries Services, and Queen Margaret University to name a few.
- Healthcare and Administration
- Placements have taken place in a wide range of healthcare fields. While clinical and research placements placements are becoming ever more competitive, other placements within the healthcare field as a whole are available. Much can be learned from all sides of the healthcare system.
- Previous publishing internships have taken place with Media Magazine, Foodies, the Holyrood Magazine (Official Parliament publication) and also with charitable organisations.
- Religious Organisations
- EPA has links with various Presbyterian churches. Rosslyn Chapel and St Giles Cathedral have successfully supervised student placements..
- Social Services and Social Work
- EPA has found many placements within the charity and social work field including Capability-Scotland, ASH Scotland, Richmond Fellowship, Bethany Christian Trust, and Move On, to name a few.
- Previous internships have been with Edinburgh Capitals(Ice Hockey team), Edinburgh Leisure, the Spartans Community Football Academy, Inch Park Community Sports Centre, to name a few.
- Politics and Government
- Scottish Parliament is our most popular Edinburgh placement, with other placements with the political parties also taking our interns. The parties are: Scottish National, Labour, Conservative and Unionist, Liberal Democrat, and Green parties.
- Museums, History, Archaeology, and Tourism
- Edinburgh is world-renowned for the quality and diversity of its museums and visitor attractions. Many of these offer administrative, research, or educational placements to our interns. National Trust of Scotland, St Giles Cathedral, The Georgian House, Lauriston Castle, and Rosslyn Chapel have enjoyed having our interns.
- Although Edinburgh is under 500,000 in population, it is the capital of Scotland, full of intellectual and cultural life. Business internships have been within independent firms, but also within large cultural organisations such a Festival Theatre or VisitScotland. Contrary to their great history of banking, British banks are not currently friendly towards internships, but we are diligently pursuing alternatives.
- Theater, Film, and Dance
- Edinburgh is an arts hub, and students can intern within a small dance or theatre business. Students have had successful internships in Dance Therapy. Film internships with a local Film House have worked successfully.
- Teaching and administrative placements are available in schools. Most placements are with Children aged 5-11 years. Interns can specialize in different areas, and will shadow professional staff. Historic Lauriston Castle placements include work with school children who visit this historic home.